Mind Body Skills Training
A structured, 8-week group program that teaches stress reduction and self-care mind-body skills.
- Clients seeking training in mind techniques to manage brain/body stress reactions for disease prevention and health maintenance.
- Clients with stress from or stress-influenced physical conditions
- Clients in ongoing insight-oriented therapy with other mental health professionals who would benefit from
learning behavioral skills that enhance non-judgmental self-observation, de-centering, and grounding in the present.
- Clients with chronic pain who would benefit from learning techniques to facilitate turning down central pain generators that perpetuate chronic pain conditions.
- Clients with addictive disorders who would benefit from learning mind techniques to regulate brain/body pulls toward compulsive substance use.
- Clients with other conditions such as anxiety and depression (especially with negative ruminative thinking) who would benefit from learning mind techniques designed to help them manage these automatic brain/body thoughts, feelings and physical/somatic sensations.
All sessions are 1.5 hours long and consist of 45 minutes of lecture information and discussion and 45 minutes of skills practice
Overview of the brain/body stress reaction and information on how life’s experiences can shape the developing brain’s reactions to stress.
Skill – Introduction to breath-work.
Review of the physiology of the stress response and further discussion on the long-term effects on health. Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) and information about how muscle tension increases the body’s stress response.
Skill – Progressive muscle relaxation
Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation. Teaching non-judgmental observation of thoughts, feelings, and body sensations and shifting attention to the present.
Skill – Body scan
Learn to let go of thoughts with mindfulness. Instruction on how to manage wandering thoughts through non-judgemental observation.
Skill – Awareness of breathing
Understanding emotions with mindfulness. Increase ability to observe emotions through connecting to body sensations. Also understanding the connection between thoughts and emotions.
Skill – Variations on mindful breathing
Recognizing resistance. Learn how to recognize and let go of resistance in the mind and body.
Skill – Mindful yoga
Building a practice. Discussion of how to integrate these exercises into your life. Continue to discuss how to work through unpleasant emotions.
Skill – Breathing space, unpleasant events calendar
Review of overall program and discussion of observations since beginning course. Encouragement and instruction on how to continue an individual practice.
The Mind-Body Health Program enrolls 6-8 clients and repeats every 8 weeks.
Please call 504-355-0509 for appointment.
8-Session Group Program
8-Session Group Program is $600.
Insurance is accepted.
Mind-Body Skills Individual Program
A 16-20 week program with a licensed counselor reviewing and practicing Mind-Body Skills introduced in the Mind-Body Health Group Program above but done individually with greater depth and attunement to the individual’s life context. Each session lasts 45-50 minutes. Counselors are skilled at focusing on the implementation of Mind-Body Skills within the context of interpersonal counseling sessions that focus on stress and emotional self-regulation, mood disorders, mind-body ailments, addiction, pain disorders and relationship difficulties.
NOCMBH highly recommends regular massage as a means of inducing the relaxation response, detoxifying myofascial trigger and tender points and sustaining optimal mind-body health. NOCMBH has partnered with Spa Atlantis (504-566-8087) located in the same building. Reduced fees have been arranged for NOCMBH clients.