Mind Body Skills Training
A structured, 7-week group program that teaches stress reduction and self-care mind-body skills.
- Clients seeking training in mind techniques to manage brain/body stress reactions for disease prevention and health maintenance.
- Clients with stress from or stress-influenced physical conditions
- Clients in ongoing insight-oriented therapy with other mental health professionals who would benefit from
learning behavioral skills that enhance non-judgmental self-observation, de-centering, and grounding in the present.
- Clients with chronic pain who would benefit from learning techniques to facilitate turning down central pain generators that perpetuate chronic pain conditions.
- Clients with addictive disorders who would benefit from learning mind techniques to regulate brain/body pulls toward compulsive substance use.
- Clients with other conditions such as anxiety and depression (especially with negative ruminative thinking) who would benefit from learning mind techniques designed to help them manage these automatic brain/body thoughts, feelings and physical/somatic sensations.
All sessions are 1.5 hours long and consist of 45 minutes of lecture information and discussion and 45 minutes of skills practice
Overview of the brain/body stress reaction and information on how life’s experiences can shape the developing brain’s reactions to stress.
Skill – Introduction to breath-work.
Review of the physiology of the stress response and further discussion on the long-term effects on health. Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) and information about how muscle tension increases the body’s stress response.
Skill – Progressive muscle relaxation
Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation. Teaching non-judgmental observation of thoughts, feelings, and body sensations and shifting attention to the present.
Skill – Body scan
Learn to let go of thoughts with mindfulness. Instruction on how to manage wandering thoughts through non-judgemental observation.
Skill – Awareness of breathing
Understanding emotions with mindfulness. Increase ability to observe emotions through connecting to body sensations. Also understanding the connection between thoughts and emotions.
Skill – Variations on mindful breathing
Led by Marcel Albritton, PhD, C-IAYT
Recognizing resistance. Learn how to recognize and let go of resistance in the mind and body.
Skill – yoga
Building a practice. Discussion of how to integrate these exercises into your life. Continue to discuss how to work through unpleasant emotions.
Skill – Breathing space, unpleasant events calendar
The Mind-Body Health Program enrolls 6-8 clients and repeats every 7 weeks.
Please call 504-355-0509 for appointment.
7-Session Group Program
7-Session Group Program is $525.
Insurance is accepted.
Mind-Body Skills Individual Program
A 16-20 week program with a licensed counselor reviewing and practicing Mind-Body Skills introduced in the Mind-Body Health Group Program above but done individually with greater depth and attunement to the individual’s life context. Each session lasts 45-50 minutes. Counselors are skilled at focusing on the implementation of Mind-Body Skills within the context of interpersonal counseling sessions that focus on stress and emotional self-regulation, mood disorders, mind-body ailments, addiction, pain disorders and relationship difficulties.
NOCMBH highly recommends regular massage as a means of inducing the relaxation response, detoxifying myofascial trigger and tender points and sustaining optimal mind-body health. NOCMBH has partnered with Spa Atlantis (phone: 504-566-8087) to offer reduced fees for NOCMBH clients.
Clinical Yoga Therapy
• The therapeutic application of the system of yoga to assist individuals with their health problems.
• Considers the multiple dimensions of a person (body, breath, emotions, personality, etc.) and is different for each person.
• Often includes a focus on movements, breathing, and meditation.
• You don’t need to be strong, flexible, young, or in-shape to do yoga therapy.
Q: How does yoga therapy work?
A: Yoga therapy works by balancing the human system. By providing you with an individualized routine, yoga therapy allows you to make continual improvement. The individualized routine or practice is constantly adjusted as your human system changes and as your circumstances change.
Q: What are some of the benefits of yoga therapy?
A: Yoga Therapy promotes true healing by helping to reduce symptoms and forming a more positive association with your health issue.